I’ve never made proper buttercream icing/frosting before. In fact, I’ve never properly iced a cake/cupcake in my life!
So I went to Google and found an easy vanilla buttercream recipe with very positive reviews.
The Food Network recipe ticked all the boxes and was easy to follow. One of the comments also suggested using less icing sugar and only 1 tablespoon of cream so that’s what I did…
** INGREDIENTS **
306g Icing Sugar
250g Unsalted Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1 Tablespoons Cream
Note: This quantity was enough to ice 30 cupcakes.
** METHOD **
1. Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl.
2. Add the butter (which is at room temperature – I had to put mine in the microwave for 20 seconds), to the icing sugar and mix on low speed with a hand mixer until well blended.
3. Once well blended, beat on medium/high speed for 3 minutes.
4. Add vanilla essence and cream to the mixture and beat on medium/high speed for 1 minute.
5. I wanted to colour my buttercream so I halved my mixture and added blue food colouring. Beat until the colour is well mixed.
6. Spoon the dyed buttercream into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcake.
7. Add 100s & 1000s to the icing to add decoration.
8. Add pink food colouring to the remainder of the buttercream and beat until well mixed.
9. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcake.
10. Add 100s & 1000s to the icing to add decoration.
11. Place the cupcakes in a container and put into the fridge. The buttercream should harden in the fridge.