Apologies for being AWOL. I haven’t done much baking yet, despite purchasing a new hand mixer. My mother’s 30+ year old mixer has unfortunately seen its day.
I decided to make a Tiramisu for our family lunch today and it was superb. I’m not usually a Tiramisu fan, but this recipe saw me get up for my second helping. YUM!
This is what I did:
** INGREDIENTS **
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1 3/4 cup thickened cream
1 container savoiardi sponge fingers
1/2 cup cold espresso
1/2 cup marsala wine
1 tbsp cocoa for dusting
** METHOD **
1. Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water. Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and whip yolks until thick and lemon coloured.
2. Add Mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
4. Gently fold the whipped cream in the mascarpone mixture and set aside.
5. Mix the cold espresso with the marsala wine and dip the sponge fingers into the mixture just long enough to get them wet, do not soak them!
6. Arrange the lady fingers in the bottom of a baking dish.
7. Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the sponge fingers.
8. Repeat process with another layer.
9. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
10. Dust with cocoa before serving.