After coming across a Reddit post of someone baking brownies in a waffle cone, I knew what my next baking project was going to be.
Instead of buying a brownie mix, I decided to use my favourite brownie recipe (credit goes to the Brown Eyes Baker for their supplied French Chocolate Brownies recipe). It’s easy to follow and has not yet let me down.
This is my variation of the recipe:
** INGREDIENTS **
1/2 cup plain flour
170g dark chocolate
170g salted butter
3 large eggs
1 cup white sugar
Box of waffle cones
Foil roasting tray (or anything else to keep the waffle cones upright during baking)
** METHOD **
1. In a small bowl, whisk the flour with a hand mixer for about a minute and set aside.
2. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave. (Stir after 30 seconds, and then every 10 seconds. This will prevent the chocolate from burning.)
3. Once the chocolate has melted, add the butter and stir so that it melts into the chocolate mixture. If the butter is not melting, you can put the bowl back into the microwave and heat in 10 second intervals. Once the mixture has been combined, set aside.
4. Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until they are thick and pale (about 2 minutes.)
5. Pour the chocolate-butter mixture into the egg and sugar bowl and mix at a lower speed until incorporated (you will have a chick, creamy batter).
6. Add the dry ingredients and mix at lower speed for about 30 seconds. (The dry ingredients won’t be completely incorporated and that’s fine.) Finish folding in the dry ingredients by hand with a rubber spatula.
6. Cut holes into the foil roasting pan and insert waffle cones.
7. Pour the batter into a piping bag (I didn’t have one so I used a sandwich bag) and pipe into the waffle cones. The remaining batter can be poured into a tin foil lined container.
8. Bake in the oven at 150°C. (If baking brownies in a tray, bake for 50 to 60 minutes. The waffle cones took about 30 minutes, and the remaining batter about 50 minutes. They will be done when the top is dry and cracked, and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.)
9. Remove from heat and allow to cool. (Cut the brownie tray into pieces while still warm.)
I served my brownie cones with Blue Ribbon Ice-Cream (3 in 1 Caramel & Honeycomb Crunch) and Homemade Hard Shell Chocolate Sauce.